Web development refers to building, creating, and an maintaining websites. It includes aspects such as web design, web publishing, web programming, and database management.
While the terms "web developer" and "web designer" are often used synonymously, they do not mean the same thing. Technically, a web designer only designs website interfaces using HTML and CSS. A web developer may be involved in designing a website, but may also write web scripts in languages such as PHP and ASP. Additionally, a web developer may help maintain and update a database used by a dynamic website.
HTML (Hypertext Markup Language)
HTML (Hypertext Markup Language) is the set of markup symbols or codes inserted in a file intended for display on a World Wide Web browser page. The markup tells the Web browser how to display a Web page’s words and images for the user. Each individual markup code is referred to as an element (but many people also refer to it as a tag). Some elements come in pairs that indicate when some display effect is to begin and when it is to end.
- HTML is the language for describing the structure of Web pages
- Publish online documents with headings, text, tables, lists, photos, etc.
- Retrieve online information via hypertext links, at the click of a button.
- Design forms for conducting transactions with remote services, for use in searching for information, making reservations, ordering products, etc.
- Include spread-sheets, video clips, sound clips, and other applications directly in their documents.
CSS (Cascading Style Sheets)
Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) is a style sheet language used for describing the presentation of a document written in a markup language. CSS describes how HTML elements are to be displayed on screen, paper, or in other media CSS saves a lot of work. It can control the layout of multiple web pages all at once
CSS is the language for describing the presentation of Web pages, including colors, layout, and fonts. It allows one to adapt the presentation to different types of devices, such as large screens, small screens, or printers. CSS is independent of HTML and can be used with any XML-based markup language. The separation of HTML from CSS makes it easier to maintain sites, share style sheets across pages, and tailor pages to different environments. This is referred to as the separavetion of structure (or: content) from presentation.
The Eclipse PHP Development Tools project (PDT) is the #1 open source PHP Integrated Development Environment (IDE). It has rapidly grown to be one of the most highly downloaded Eclipse projects. PDT provides an entry level IDE for with the basic code editing capabilities you need to get started with PHP development. PDT provides:
- Basic PHP Editing with syntax highlighting and coloring
- PHP code completion, code templates, auto-formatting
- Basic HTML Editing with syntax highlighting and coloring
- Local and Remote Debugging support for XDebug and the Zend Debugger
Word Press is a free and open-source content management system (CMS) based on PHP and My SQL. Word Press is installed on a web server, which either is part of an Internet hosting service or is a network host itself; the first case may be on a service like WordPress.com, for example, and the second case is a computer running the software package WordPress.org. An example of the second case is a local computer configured to act as its own web server hosting Word Press for single-user testing or learning purposes.